Over the next ‘Top Tips’ postings, I will be recapping a lot of experiences I had during my recent holiday in the US. My family and I spent 6 whole weeks there touring both the West and East coasts and this was the final big trip before I head off to study in London.
One of my all time favourite restaurants is Nobu, and the most recent one that I visited was the one in Malibu. There are two locations in Los Angeles but this one is renowned for its views. Yes its $$$$ but the service, quality and location was just beyond my expectations.
Nobu serves fusion Japanese food with South American flare. Things you must have that are Nobu classics are the Yellowtail Sashimi with Jalapeño Pepper and the Black Cod with Miso. To complement them, order their Tiradito, Rock Shrimp Tempura and Green Tea ice cream.
My advice for you:
- Get there early. We had a lunchtime reservation and we got there before it opened at 12pm. We ended up getting one of the best tables at the restaurant, right by the sea since we queued before opening hours. I guess it was based on first-come-first-serve.
- 2. Book in advance, weeks if you must. Yes its THAT good. This is one of the hotspots in LA and you definitely don’t want to miss this out. Most places either have great food or a great view but this offer the best of both worlds. We booked a week in advance!
- 3. Dine during the day. Although its nice at night with the sun setting and thats when most people go, you can’t beat the views on a beautiful Californian summer day. Plus, you’re able to appreciate the view throughout your entire lunch and it’s a bit quieter.
- 4. Don’t over order! For a party of 3-4, I recommend 2-3 cold dishes, 2-3 hot dishes, a salad, 2 mains, a selection of rolls and dessert. That’s what we did and it was enough. The service is really quick to always order more. Remember it’s designed to share!
- 5. Enjoy it while it lasts. This is definitely a once in a lifetime meal (you’ll see why when you get the check) and your relaxing 2 hour lunch will go by in a flash. So make sure you take in the ambience, enjoy the food and snap photos along the way!
I hope this made you hungry! More to come next week.
Alexander Wang inspired top and bottom set
Parisian Fedora (found in local boutique)
Porsche Design Sunglasses
Photos taken on my iPhone